Massage is the name given to the therapeutic pressing, rubbing and manipulating of the skin, tendons, ligaments and muscles of your body. A massage therapist in Green Valley will typically use their hands and fingers to carry out these actions, but may also use their forearms, elbows and feet.
There are many different types of massage therapies, including:
- Swedish massage, a gentle form of massage involving kneading, long stroking movements, deep circular movements, tapping and vibration
- Deep massage, a slow but forceful form of massage involving deep stroking movements that target the deeper layers of your tissues, commonly to help heal muscle damage
- Sports massage, which is similar to Swedish massage, but aimed at treating or preventing sports injuries
- Trigger point massage, which focuses on muscle knots, which typically develop following repetitive motions or injuries
Some types of massage are soft and gentle; others are vigorous and may feel slightly uncomfortable, particularly if your tissues are very tight. Your massage therapist in Green Valley will be able to identify the correct techniques to use and adjust the pressure for your comfort. With your consent, they may even use oils or powers to help reduce friction on your skin.
Benefits of massage therapy
Studies of the benefits of massage therapy suggest that massage is an effective treatment for reducing stress and relieving pain and muscle tension. Some studies have also found massage to be helpful in the treatment of a range of health conditions, including:
• Anxiety and depression
• Digestive disorders
• Stress-related sleep problems
• Muscle strains
• Temporomandibular joint pain
Beyond the benefits for specific medical conditions, many people choose to use massage because it promotes general physical and psychological wellness.
Risks of massage therapy
Most people can benefit from massage therapy. However, you may not be a suitable candidate for massage if you have:
• A bleeding disorder or take blood-thinning medications
• Open or healing wounds
• Deep vein thrombosis (DVT)
• Broken bones
• Severe osteoporosis
Some forms of massage can leave you feeling sore or tired the next day. However, these side effects are not harmful and usually resolve themselves without treatment.
Contact a massage therapist in Green Valley
To find out more about massage therapy in Green Valley, please call to arrange a visit with the massage therapist today Our Liverpool Chiropractor will be able to assist you.