Naturopathy is a holistic method of healing which recognises the ability of the body to overcome disease. Treatments aim to support and aid the body to heal itself with the use of herbal medicine, nutritional medicine and lifestyle advice.
Naturopathy is a healing art based on holistic principles in conjunction with vis medicatrixnaturae – the healing power of nature. This includes treating the underlying cause within the body to achieve optimal health that may have been compromised by lifestyle, genetic predisposition or dietary imbalances. Within this belief, naturopathy aims to restore vitality through supporting and stimulating the body’s own healing mechanisms.
• Western herbal medicine is the oldest form of medicine in society. The practitioner makes use of extracts and tinctures derived exclusively from plants. Herbal preparations are able to balance the whole body unlike pharmaceuticals, which only work on one specific system. Modern herbal medicine is safe and is constantly backed up by updated research.
• Nutrition is the treatment of disorders using food as medicine. With the fast paced stressful lifestyle of our society, many of us are eating highly refined foods. This does not supply us with the nutrients we need to maintain good health. The naturopathic nutritionist uses fresh whole foods and supplements to re-establish an optimum nutritional status required for good health.
Naturopaths are trained in a variety of modalities and therefore able to treat a broad spectrum of illnesses or disease states that are either acute or chronic.
Some conditions include:
• respiratory conditions – including asthma
• sports performance
• weight loss
• stress and fatigue
• heart disease
• skin conditions – including eczema and psoriasis
• anxiety and depression
• colds and flu
• infections and low immunity
• gastrointestinal and digestive disturbances – reflux, irritable bowel. Chrohns, coeliacs
• hormonal abnormalities such as menopausal symptoms
• allergies, including food allergies
• arthritic conditions – osteoarthritis, rheumatoid
• cancer – complementary
• back pain and problems
• chronic fatigue syndrome
• restless legs syndrome
• digestive complaints such as irritable bowel syndrome and ulcers;
• hypertension (high blood pressure), cholesterol
• menstrual and menopausal problems
• prostate and impotency
• headaches and migraines
• children – ADD, ADHD
Naturopathy also addresses everyday issues such as stress, fatigue, and weight loss, and the foundations of these problems.
Naturopathy is also useful in treating issues that may involve first aid:
• bites and stings
• sprains and strains.
However, problems do not need to be specific for naturopathic treatment as treatments can cure an overall feeling of unwellness.
What to expect at your first appointment
At your first appointment Wayne Gard will take your case. This is your personal file where any current symptoms you may be experiencing, medical history of illnesses, diet and lifestyle behaviours, and any emotions you may be feeling will be recorded and discussed. To ensure a thorough case history, Wayne Gard will also conduct a physical examination to determine the location and nature of the problem.
Although some questions may appear strange, Wayne Gard wants to consider all signs and symptoms in order to develop a total picture of your condition. Once this is achieved, the appropriate method of treatment will be selected to help rebalance any disruption that is occurring both within the internal and external self.
Pain or side effects of the treatment
Pain should not be felt from herbal treatments. Provided that herbs are taken in the correct dosage, no side effects should occur. Should you feel any side effects, please don’t hesitate to contact Wayne Gard.
The herbs used in the clinic are non-toxic and are approved for internal use by the Therapeutic Goods Administration, which is Australia’s regulatory agency for medical drugs and devices.
How long will it take to work?
Recovery time varies greatly depending on the individual and their condition. Acute symptoms such as skin conditions, colds or flu, can respond to treatment within days. Chronic complaints require more time for recovery due to their complexity and can take anywhere from 4-12 weeks to notice improvement. Chronic conditions ultimately respond very successfully to naturopathic treatment.